Monday, April 20, 2009

On Food and Eating

This is kind of silly, but the idea occurred to me and I figured it's better than nothing.

Since arriving in Spain, I have...
  • gotten used to eating breakfast at 7:30, lunch at 3 and dinner at 10.
  • discovered I don't actually like fish. Like at all.
  • remembered, every day, how much I love breakfast. (Doesn't matter what it is. Waking up and eating immediately was just someone's best idea ever.)
  • starting liking muesli and granola and dried fruit a lot.
  • started missing foods I didn't even used to like that much, like pancakes and potato chips.
  • eaten more yogurt than ever in my life. Only the kind with fruit. Delicious!
  • eaten more, in general, than ever, because I have to eat everything our host mom serves, and it's 2 courses plus fruit and bread.
  • eaten at least 2 fruits every day. That's amazing for me. (Generally: pears, kiwi, apples, and tangerines.)
  • missed spicy and any kind of ethnic food.
  • and, somewhat embarrassingly, Dunkin' Donuts.
  • stopped drinking milk, unfortunately (for no good reason)... but still, the yogurt!
  • gotten used to French bread at every meal, which could be a problem when I go back.
  • not had to tip at restaurants much or at all (in Spain), which is fantastic.
  • eaten too many napolitanas (chocolate-filled croissants).
  • become a social coffee drinker.
  • been a big fan of Döner Kebab.
  • learned, at least somewhat, the wonders of eating from supermarkets while traveling.
  • remained entirely incompetent at cooking.
  • gained 15 pounds. Looks like the Freshman Fifteen came late. Aah!

4 comments:

  1. ha ha ha ha ha on the last one--good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what, are you up to 95 pounds now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha... I can relate to the ridiculous eating hours. Standard Eating times in India: 7 am, 1-4 pm (depending on the mood), and 7-11 pm (depending on the stomach's urge).

    Keep being awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think eating is going to be one of the biggest things to adjust to when I get back--maybe whole days will go by without rice, beans, or "spicy ethnic foods"?

    SO jealous of the french bread. The two things I asked my parents to make sure were in the house when I get home are good bread (sourdough? yumm) and ingredients for chocolate chip cookies.

    We'll have cooking parties in the apts next year and you'll get good.

    MISS YOU LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete